Thursday, April 14, 2016

"Anything Goes" is Smooth Sailing at Goodspeed Opera House

What a treat it was to see this Cole Porter show last night. I have never seen it before and it did make me ask myself why not!! The music is wonderful and I left the theatre humming and singing "Anything Goes" to myself. In my opinion, that is the sign of an enjoyable and memorable show. 

Even though I have never seen the show before some of the songs were familiar including of course "Anything Goes", “I Get a Kick Out of You,” and  “It's De-Lovely”.

Rashidra Scott has a powerful voice and carries off the role of Reno Sweeney with panache but in truth, it is Stephen DeRosa as Moonface Martin who steals the show. I can't remember having laughed as much at a show in a long time. 

The dancing in this show is memorable. Really phenomenal tap dancing done by the ensemble. Another plus is being able to see the orchestra who are located on a gallery of what is the ship and we get to see and hear them better than I can ever remember doing. 

"Anything Goes" plays at Goodspeed Opera in East Haddam through June 16. If you don't have tickets, what are you waiting for? This show will leave tapping your toes and singing the songs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment