Thursday, August 17, 2017

Mrs Bridges Pantry Woodstock

Finding an authentic British tearoom in Connecticut has become somewhat frustrating, there are just not many choices anymore. Woodstock is about an hour ride, given the fact that it is located right next door to the Scranton Shops where we can poke around for antiques it seemed like a good option. 

It was a Thursday and a rainy day at that. I called ahead to see if we would need reservations, they said no but when I got there, they had saved us seats which was very nice of them. I had my heart set on a Cornish Pasty. We got there shortly after 12 and they were already sold out which was very disappointing. I guess I should have reserved one of them as well!!


We had a pretty long wait to put in our order but since we were chatting and enjoying ourselves it really wasn't an issue. What was an issue is that the rest room is across the way adjacent to another shop. Not very convenient and they were not especially nice or clean. 


Mrs. Bridges Pantry is very cute inside, not all that girly which is often the case with tearooms and also not very British in spite of the menu which is half English specialties. 

#mrsbridge'spantry

Since I couldn't have a Cornish pasty I went for a curry chicken one, our friend ordered the Farmhouse tea which is a sandwich followed by a scone, I added a scone and tea to my pasty. Al had a steak and mushroom pie. 


First I have to address the crust of my pastie, these are supposed to be flaky and you should be able to hold it in your hand to eat, they are really a hand pie. My crust was nothing less than limp, no way I could ever have picked that up. Might have been the rewarming that did that. The filling, however, was very tasty indeed. 


Al's little pie was very nice and it came with a small gravy boat with nice bistro gravy. The sandwich which was ham and cheese was crustless and delicious. 


The scones were served warm, I got orange and cranberry and Joe had raisin, they are served with whipped cream and either strawberry jam or lemon curd, we both opted for the jam. 

#mrsbridgespantry

Tea was also good. Though a refill of our pot was never offered. Usually, more water at least is offered. 


Al got the apple crisp and while he loved the custard, he found the apples to be al dente and overall the dessert was too sweet. 


Luckily, it seemed to have been rather a quiet day and we were allowed to take our time and just sit and enjoy. Our waitress was very friendly and answered all our questions with enthusiasm. 


I would rate our visit as a success and will return, I may not order the same things, however, there are plenty of other choices. 


They do have a little store which I'm sorry to say we did not browse. 


2 comments:

  1. Nice write up. Sad you did not get your Cornish Pasty! Pre-order next time. Sounds like they nuked your curry pie rather than heat it in an oven that would account for it going soft!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, sad and nuked but overall for Connecticut, a pretty English experience. Thanks for reading.

      Delete