Thursday, October 12, 2017

Rags Hits the Boards at Goodspeed

I am not sure exactly what to say about Rags. The stars are exceptional, Samantha Massell is not only beautiful, she was a powerful voice. Adam Heller is a familiar face from Fiddler on the Roof and Christian Michael Camporin is endearing and has an amazing voice for a child. The rest of the cast is very talented and considering the weakness of the script does a great job of keeping us entertained. The orchestra added greatly to the overall experience. 

The storyline is timely, at one point the I felt extremely uncomfortable with the anti-semitic rhetoric and actions. The anti-immigration sentiments expressed in 1910 are all too familiar to those of us living in 2017. 

Did I go out singing any of the songs, no I didn't. The most memorable song was Children of the Wind but it didn't stick with me as I left the theater?  The curtain, however,  is really wonderful, with all the changing faces of the immigrants I particularly enjoyed it. 

The original version was not a success, this is a rewrite but not by the original author. It is not Fiddler on the Roof is all I really want to say. The ending is weak, quite improbable actually but I recommend seeing this show.  As always it leaves you thinking and feeling like you had an entertaing night out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment