Friday, June 29, 2018

Restaurant review: Staropolska New Britain, Conn.

What could be better than fruit filled pierogies? That is the question we asked ourselves when choosing where to go for lunch in New Britain. Staropolska is located on Broad Street and has its own spacious parking lot. 

On a gorgeous May day, we opted to dine outdoors and it was lovely. We actually spent about 2.5 hours at our corner table and we were never made to feel we had overstayed our welcome.

The menu is huge so be prepared for lots of choices. The lunch menu is more reasonable and the portions were generous enough to satisfy us. They do have daily soup and entree options. You can check their website to see what is offered each day. 

I opted for the stuffed cabbage which is served with your choice of vegetable and starch. The starch choices included French fries, mashed potatoes and potato pancakes (for $1 extra). Vegetable choices: garden salad, beets, cucumber salad, sauerkraut salad, coleslaw, cooked sauerkraut, spring salad, red cabbage, pickles or string beans.  I chose the potato pancake and the cucumber salad. It was a hearty plate and I brought home about half. In fairness, I ate Al's coleslaw and sampled Irene's red cabbage, beets and both sweet and savory pierogies.

I was a little surprised by the potato pancake, I was expecting a latke type pancake and it isn't made with grated potato, it is mashed potato. Delicious. The red cabbage is also served cold, not warm. I loved all the sides. 


Irene chose two plates of pierogies one sweet one savory. I loved the potato, onion and bacon pierogi, bacon was the taste that was front and forward, she also had sauerkraut and mushroom which I didn't taste. The sweet raspberry and blueberry pierogies are what will keep me coming back, they are fabulous, not too sweet but the fruit is amazingly fresh tasting. 

Al and Pete had the beef stroganoff with starch and vegetable. Pete had noodles and Al had mashed potatoes. Needless to say, neither of them went away hungry. 

The quality and quantity of the food were excellent and I am looking forward to going back and sampling a few other of the offerings. If you are craving Polish food or even if you have never had it, I highly recommend that you give Staropolska a try, you won't be disappointed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment