Monday, June 1, 2015

Guys and Dolls at Goodspeed

First, let me say, I love the Goodspeed. I have a subscription and have had it for quite a few years. I come back year after year because I love the venue, the enthusiasm and the orchestra. The musicals are a mixed bag, some we love others not so much. I will say, we have never disliked a performance, we have just liked some much better than others.

If you haven't had time to get your tickets for Guys and Dolls which runs through June 20th you might want to just let it pass. I was uninspired. The singing and dancing were just average and for me, this is a weak performance. I did not find it particularly amusing and the story line is so boringly predictable as to be well, boring.

I know this is a Broadway classic and is one that I felt could have stayed in retirement. If you enjoy a musical about redemption, you might just love this but there was a serious lack of chemistry between Sky and  Sarah. We did however laugh out loud a few times and Nathan and Adelaide were the saving grace of this show. Sky has a wonderful voice, Sarah we found too high for enjoyment.

I thought it was quite telling that there was no standing ovation, I think others probably shared my lack of enthusiasm, I know everyone in my party did. I did not walk away singing any of the songs which is how I grade a show.

I am however, looking forward to the next show La Cage aux Folles.

No comments:

Post a Comment