Wednesday, May 4, 2016

A quick lunch at O'Rourke's Diner in Middletown

You have to admit, when a place has been named one of Playboy's Best in America 101 breakfasts it must have something special and as everyone who was born and raised in Middletown knows, O'Rourke's Diner does. 

O'Rourke's has been a staple on Main Street for 70 years, that alone is an accomplishment. Normally breakfast is the meal that we stop in to eat, never on the weekends however, when it is nearly impossible to get a seat without a long wait. I usually choose an off time when we can sit and relax and usually Brian O'Rourke the owner will stop by to chat and drop off a sample of something he is baking or cooking. 

Monday we decided to stop by for lunch, After our class at the Y we are usually starving and it seemed like a good place to stop. 


Our first sampling of baked goods.

Aside from their breakfast, probably the most well known menu item is the steamed cheeseburger. I decided that is what I wanted but the Kronenberger version with the slice of onion and Kathy had the same thing. It is served with coleslaw and a pickle spear I added French fries.The hard rolls are homemade which makes them extra special. 

Al had kielbasa with sauerkraut and melted cheese with French fries. 

Everyone gets to taste the baked goods of the day with a little sample plate. Brian however did drop off larger pieces. It was really delicious, one was almond and the other was a spice cake. I had to stop myself before I totally ruined my appetite. 

Our lunch was perfect. It is a great steamed cheeseburger loaded with melted cheddar cheese and the fries really don't need any ketchup, the flavor is too good to hide. 

The food was certainly a bargain, three of us ate for just over $21. Service was efficient and we left very well satisfied. 

I love eating at O'Rourkes, it is a piece of Middletown history and always takes me back to my childhood!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment