Monday, May 16, 2016

Sixpence Pie Company Southington, Conn. CLOSED

I first found the Sixpence Pie Company at the Coventry Farmers Market. I couldn't believe my eyes, I was seeing what looked like a Cornish Pasty here in Connecticut. I brought my first ones home and loved them even though the flavors that they incorporate into their pies are not a traditional pasty at all. 



Since then, I have become a Sixpence stalker. I follow them around. I search them out at the Wednesday Wethersfield Farmers Market, at the Wadsworth Mansion in Middletown at the Open Air Market and even at their location on North Main Street in Southington. 

What they offer are delicious pies, some of them sweet and some of them savory. The savory ones are hand-held and stuffed with a variety of meats, veggies and spices. Some have cheese but not all. 

A Cornish Pasty is a savory English meat pie with basically stew inside that miners would take with them into the mines for lunch. It could be beef or lamb but it would have potatoes and carrots. In England I have also had lamb and apricot. To me having a Sixpence Pie is like being in England. 

I stopped by today and bought 2 sweet pies, one mixed berry and one apple. I also bought two shepherd pie savory pies. I did find out that the pies are freezable and that is good to know. I also now know that if I want a traditional pasty I can call up and order them. The minimum order is a dozen but with the ability to freeze, I see lots of pasty eating in my future!!

No comments:

Post a Comment