Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Cypress Grill Middletown

Restaurant permanently closed.

Cypress Grill hardly needs an introduction to anyone from the Middletown area. It has been around for as long as most of us can remember. It opened in 1936 and in those days, Route 17 was a main artery between Boston and New York. This friendly diner did a hopping business on weekends. It was known for its great service and homestyle food. You will still find both of those but the traffic has certainly calmed down considerably. 

This is our go to restaurant when we can't decide what we are in the mood for. It is also where we g when wee want to do a family dinner. The menu has enough choices to satisfy even the pickiest kid and they have hot buttered lobster rolls, certainly a winning combination in our family. 

Of course, we like all their customers, have our favorites. If you love chili, theirs is outstanding. Not too spicy, just thick and luscious. You really can't miss with their soups French onion and New England clam chowder are also favorites. 

I personally love their egg salad sandwich. Do you know how hard it is to find a good egg salad sandwich? They also have perfect 10-inch hotdogs. I would be remiss if I didn't mention the grilled cheese, it is perfection. 

Kasey and I have had the lobster rolls several times. Is it the best one I have ever had, maybe not but it is good, good enough to have more than once. The grilled pork chop meal is a winner as far as Al is concerned and the sweet potato fries are excellent. 

To make this review totally honest I will admit that the corn chowder disappointed. It was low on corn and not rich the way I like it. But that is the first time I have really not liked what I ordered. It wasn't bad just not inspired.  

Just about everything I have tried is a winner. I love this place. It is casual and has some really good desserts too. To see their complete menu, visit their website

No comments:

Post a Comment