Friday, October 28, 2016

Taino Smokehouse Middletown

Finding good BBQ is not so easy in our neck of the woods. Taino offers delicious smoked meat and all the fresh sides you could want. They also offer some unexpected things but everything can pretty much be classified as comfort food. 

I personally am a big fan of their wings. I usually order them but today I decided to try the bacon pops for an appetizer to share with Al. I wasn't quite sure what to expect, the description in the menu says deep fried squares of bacon. It isn't coated with anything and it is crispy and chewy at  the same time. It comes with dill ranch dressing and is interesting but not my favorite, a little too much chew for me. But I am glad I tried them.

I had the fried chicken for my entree. It is as close to good old fashioned Southern fried chicken as I have found up here in the north. The coating is thick, crunchy and best of all well flavored. You get to choose two sides and I chose the smoky mac and cheese and the coleslaw and a side of cornbread. The coleslaw has no horseradish but it is always crispy and fresh. The mac and cheese is everything you would want in a decadent side, luscious and creamy and in mine a little smoky. 
The meat definitely was not burned I am not sure why the picture looks so dark

Al had the half rack of St Louis ribs, the Alfredo mac and cheese and baked beans. The ribs fall off the bone, just as you would expect. Good flavor, huge portions. 

We always end up taking home enough for another meal. 

The staff is friendly and service is efficient. The decor is simple and a huge TV dominates the wall. They do serve a limited selection of wine and beer. 

The building is small, to the point of being tiny. In the summer this doesn't matter as much since they have picnic tables outside. In the winter, coming at an off time or getting takeout might be preferred. Be patient, however, they have acquired the old Jacoby's restaurant in Meriden and are planning to open a new restaurant there in addition to the one they have now in New York state. 

So small, but so packed with flavor. If you haven't tried Taino Smokehouse, what are you waiting for? 




No comments:

Post a Comment